The Five Ways to Wellbeing Schools Creative Project
The Five Ways to Wellbeing School’s Creative Project is an art competition that helps to celebrate October’s Mental Health Month with school-aged children in South Western Sydney (SWS).
Students are asked to create an artwork that shows any of the Five Ways to Wellbeing to have a chance to win.
The Five Ways to Wellbeing Schools Creative Project 2023 is now closed for entries.
To be involved for 2024, please email SWSLHD-Wellbeing@health.nsw.gov.au.
Winners for 2023
A record number of students entered the Five Ways to Wellbeing Schools Creative Project in 2023, making it the most successful year of the competition.
The judges had a difficult job choosing the winning artworks and often made their final decision with the help of the artist statement. The statements often showed what the students had learnt about the Five Ways to Wellbeing and how it linked to their artworks.
We are pleased to announce that the winners are:
Winner: Rory Hain, Picton Primary School
Highly commended: Leah Freeman, Picton Primary School
Winner: Zeeana Zamir, Bardia Primary School
Highly commended: Ava Terkalas, St Euphemia College and Sarah Gurung, Bardia Primary School
Winner: Bryan Tran, Canley Heights Primary School
Highly commended: Abigail Wilson, Mawarra Primary School and Celine Noovao, Claymore Primary School
Winner: April Ferry, Camden High School
Highly commended: Zahraa Deeb, Distance Education and Kien Lucino, Casula High School
Winning schools for 2023:
Bardia Public School
Casula High School
Claymore Public School
Winners have been notified and prizes will be delivered to their school with a certificate of congratulations during December.
Thank you to all of the students and schools across the region who entered the competition and created an artwork based on one or more of the Five Ways to Wellbeing.
The competition will be open for entries from August 2024 and close in October, Term 4.
For further information, please contact the SWSLHD-Health Promotion Mental Wellbeing Team:
What are the Five Ways to Wellbeing?
The Five Ways to Wellbeing are simple actions that people can take in their everyday life to improve their mental wellbeing, and their ability to cope with the ups and downs of life.
The Five Ways are: Connect, Be Active, Take Notice, Keep Learning, and Give.
You can learn more about the Five Ways here.
A Teachers’ Guide is available to support classroom learning opportunities which aim to help students identify and use strategies that support their mental wellbeing. The guide includes:
- Lesson plans
- Links to PDHPE and Visual Arts curriculum learning outcomes
- Stage appropriate wellbeing activities
- Five Ways to Wellbeing Teachers' Guide 2023
- Printable Five Ways to Wellbeing Icons - PDF
- Five Ways to Wellbeing Diary - PDF
- Five Ways to Wellbeing Diary - PDF Fillable
- Five Ways to Wellbeing Diary - Image
- Five Ways to Wellbeing Passport - PDF
- Five Ways to Wellbeing Passport - Image
- Taking Notice Scavenger Hunt Checklist - Early Stage 1 to Stage 3 - PDF
- Taking Notice Scavenger Hunt Checklist - Early Stage 1 to Stage 3 - Image
- Taking Notice Scavenger Hunt Worksheet -Stage 2 and Stage 3 - PDF
- Taking Notice Scavenger Hunt Worksheet -Stage 2 and Stage 3 - Image
- Five Senses Mindfulness A4 Poster - PDF
- Five Senses Mindfulness Poster - Image
- Five Senses Mindfulness Tile - Image
*Five Ways to Wellbeing art source: New Zealand Mental Health Foundation